Re: [Kissme-general] Re: Should I or not submit changes?

Mark Wielaard writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 16:13, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > If mauve wasn't such a pain to use and hack on I certainly would have
 > > contributed more to it.  Dejagnu, although horrible in its own special
 > > way, at least allows individual tests to be developed and used without
 > > needing the framework.
 >
 > I was thinking of having very simple support for "output comparison"
 > tests. You write a bla/test.java class with a normal static main method
 > that just prints to System.out.println and there is a bla/test.out file
 > that contains the correct output of the test. The only drawback is that
 > when people explicitly use Testlet.check() it is much more clear what it
 > is they are precisely testing.
 >
 > What things in DejaGNU do you like that should be supported in Mauve?

Tests are stand-alone -- it must be possible to put an entire testcase
into an email to be sent to someone to fix a bug.  This is IMO more
important than any other feature.

DejaGNU allows tests to be written independently of the any test
framework to be included almost without any change.  The test usually
must print something, and the something gets recorded.  This is a good
design.

DejaGNU also has very versatile facilities for remote testing, where
the framework runs on one machine and the tests on another.  This is
good, but difficult to use.

Andrew.