Re: using configure to tune tests?

Peter Naulls <peter@erble.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> In message <m3r918fo5i.fsf@lyta.haphazard.org>
>           Brian Jones <cbj@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> > This is an idea (not a patch I want applied at the moment) that uses
> > configure to determine some property of the host environment and tunes
> > a specific test for that host.  Is this acceptable?  I didn't include
> > an updated configure here, nor the things autogenerated by
> > aclocal;autoheader, etc.  Why are those even checked into mauve?
>
> I think it'd be better on the whole to have any tests in Java.
> But that's just me.

That's a nice sentiment, but how would you test File.listRoots() in
Java?  I mean here, how would you ensure that the list of roots given
is indeed correct for the given host, again in Java, without
hardcoding Mauve?  Either you're using a known good VM+classlib vs
something else or you indeed need this sort of thing.  I haven't been
able to thinking of another alternative.

Brian
--
Brian Jones <cbj@gnu.org>