VM tests [was Re: Library/VM tests]

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Is there anybody who is *against* expanding Mauve to include VM tests?
> If not, then we should go ahead and talk about requirements and
> implementation.

This certainly would reuqire very different handling.
I think that it can be done by creating some informative directory
structure and then executing each class in separate VM by command line
(from makefile or perl or some other script).

A lot of tests should be written directly in assembler - you cannot be
sure how compilers will translate given code. With assembler we can test
verious verify error, some magic combinations of stack/jumps which would
be impossible from java. This requires java assembler - there are some
available on the net, with jasmin coming to mind, but it is a bit large
(450kb packed ?).

JNI tests would require C compiler and some knowledge about runtime libs
of given vm. Smart configure script should be enough.

Some way would have to be defined to kill infinite loops. Maybe second
process sleeping for few minutes ?

Artur