Re: Library/VM tests

Tim> I have (finally) been looking into integrating our modest
Tim> testsuite into Mauve but have run up against a problem.  So far
Tim> as I understand things Mauve is designed to test *only* the
Tim> library functionality.  Given this what are we suppose to do
Tim> about test which sit on the boundary - ClassLoaders spring to
Tim> mind but there's also such things as Serialization, Reflection
Tim> and bunch of other borderline stuff.  None of this is VM specific
Tim> of course but it relies on more heavy VM support than some tests
Tim> (some stuff uses threads for example).

Tim> So my question is - what's the policy on this?

Policy is really for us to decide as a group.  The original goal was
to write a test suite for the class libraries, but I'm beginning to
think we'd be better off expanding the scope to include VM/runtime
tests as well.  After all, why not?  This will only benefit everybody.

I'm not fully clear on all the issues in terms of implementation.
However, I'm pretty clear on what Cygnus' requirements are in terms of
functionality.  I'd be happy to discuss this with anybody
contemplating revising Mauve to include more kinds of tests (that is,
if the test framework needs changing.  I don't know whether it does).

Tom