Re: Project Mauve: A Free Java Regression Test and Compatibility Package (fwd)

> On Dec  4, 1998, Godmar Back <gback@cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> > On the other hand, why doesn't the test harness use reflection...?
>
> Because there was no Java Core Reflection API in Java 1.0?

The answer is that this approach would require java.lang.reflect.  The
test framework gets the class object for a test using Class.forName.
However, making a call to a static method on a class requires reflect.
By adding a constructor, we can just call Class.newInstance, and then
make a simple method call on the resulting object.

This requires a bit less machinery, and more importantly lets us use
it for libjava, where we haven't yet implemented reflect.