Re: Project Mauve: A Free Java Regression Test and Compatibility Package

Tom Tromey writes:
 > I believe we currently require GNU make, sh, a Java runtime, and a
 > Java compiler.  It would probably be possible to get rid of the GNU
 > make dependency.  I'm not particularly motivated to do it.

There is a JavaMake ( and a JavaDepend
http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~stever/software/JavaDeps/
http://www.gnu.org/software/java/java.html

separate projects, both listed at gnu.org. JavaDepend
creates GNU Make dependecies, but it is easy to tweak
it into satisfying the different syntax JavaMake uses.
The one thing I am missing from JavaMake is a replacement
for the UNIX find (I am using a simplistic Makefile that
traverses the *.java source tree from the root), but for
your purposes the existing operators might be sufficient.

I was wondering - is there an org.gnu class hierarchy
already? I guess that a lot of this stuff (make, depend,
config maybe - how'd you do this in Java, getopt and
regex, bash....) might crop up over time, especially
when people want to deploy on Win32. It might be worth
considering dropping this into a good place and maintain
them in a unified way?

                                         b.