RE: Project Mauve: A Free Java Regression Test and Compatibility Package

> From: Godmar Back [mailto:gback@cs.utah.edu]
> Subject: Re: Project Mauve: A Free Java Regression Test and
> Compatibility Package
>

> > I'm afraid I don't understand either of these objections.
> >
> > What is it about this approach that makes it impossible to test JNI
> > compatibility?
> >

>  I meant to test C programs that make use of the particular engine's JNI
> interfaces.

I expect (but am not sure) that there will be provisions to build test
libraries that you can interface to as native methods.  This will give you
90% of the JNI functionality.

However, the invocation interface is one thing that needs a C test with
main().  Having a section for generic tests would be good.

> <snip>
>

> > I guess that's too bad.  I personally don't like it, but there it is
> > anyway.  Some of the untestable things really approach being tests of
> > the runtime and not the library per se.  I don't know if these really
> > fall within mauve's remit.
>
> That's what my concern was:  the testing requirements for the runtime
> and for the library are different, at least potentially.
> What I'd like is something that could do both.
>
> <snip>

I agree entirely.  In some areas, the runtime and library blend anyway.  It
would be nice to have the free software equivalent of the JCK here.  Test of
JNI, invocation interface, JVMDI, runtime (casting, main(), etc.), and
libraries.  Nothing that tests *internal* pieces of the runtime.  Just the
interface.

--John Keiser