Re: Non-gcc releases

Anthony Green wrote:
This is a very generous proposal - so thank you.  However, I would like
to see a plan that actually addresses my primary concern - and that it
the copyright assignment issue.  I think the two issues (copright and
independent releases) are related, so I'd really like to tackle both at
once.

Why do you want copyright assignment in the first place?

An example situation: as a Canadian [;-)], I do not wish giving away
my copyright to a non-Canadian institution, regardless of the nobility of
its causes.  In Canada, we have Copyright laws that I know, and a court
system in which I have much confidence.  I can't say that I know enough
about foreign laws and court systems to give away my code to a foreign
entity.  In addition, if I ever needed to enforce my copyright on some work,
I have a University to back me.  I personally have no compelling reason
to give my code away, and I do not ask my students to give me their code
either.  So, I can understand the reluctance of any contributor to give
away his code.

From your message, I deduce that you are facing one old contributor that
does not want to assign his code to FSF.  This is my biggest problem with
copyright assignment: it often drives away potential contributors, and
ends up slowing a project.

Also, as far as I know, some people such as Linus Torvalds have managed
quite well without asking for copyright assignment.

What is your primary concern with copyright assignment?

I would reverse the question and answer: Given the permissiveness of the current license, I see no compelling reason to require copyright assignment on contributions to libffi.

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.             http://www.info.uqam.ca/~egagnon/