Re: [WIP] glibc: Use /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 for ARM's -mfloat-abi=hard ABI.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Joseph S. Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> * Define HAVE_ARM_PCS_VFP in config.h.in
>
> Is there a way we can avoid architecture-specific defines needing to go in
> config.h.in - have architecture-specific files instead that it includes in
> some way? ?Does it work for configure.in fragments to use
> AC_CONFIG_HEADERS naming their own config.h.in fragments - will each
> fragment then get the right substitutions made on it? ?(A mechanism would
> also be needed for all the fragments to get included automatically -
> probably the main config.h should include all the others.)

I don't think it possible to achieve any of your suggestions without
additional work on the glibc build infrastructure.

I completely agree with you, and such a solution would move the PPC
config.h.in defines into their own fragment, but such work is outside
the scope of the current ARM hard-float dynamic linker change.

> (The same issue applies with AC_SUBST as with AC_DEFINE - there shouldn't
> need to be a load of architecture-specific AC_SUBSTs in configure.in and
> config.make.in. ?But let's see if it can be solved for config.h.in first.)

The cleanup of the master config.h.in can be done as a separate step
and should be done with review from other glibc developers and with
more time for review.

We should not block the current inclusion of the ARM glibc changes
which the community is waiting to use.

>> To tell you the truth at this late hour I can't remember why we're
>> doing this in preconfigure, why can't this all be in
>> sysdeps/arm/configure.in where I can use AC_DEFINE?
>
> preconfigure is only relevant for choosing sysdeps directories. ?For
> defining something, sysdeps/arm/configure.in should work.

I'll use sysdeps/arm/configure.in and thus avoid the confdefs.h hack
in preconfigure.

I'll post a patch shortly.

Cheers,
Carlos.