Re: Phone call (was Re: Armhf dynamic linker path)

2012/4/12 Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
<paulo.cesar.pereira.de.andrade@gmail.com>:
> Em 11 de abril de 2012 20:22, Michael Hope <michael.hope@linaro.org> escreveu:

>>> And the best time turns out to be Friday at 15:00 UTC (16:00 BST,
>>> 11:00 EDT etc.). Of the 10 people who responded in the poll, the only
>>> person who can't make that time is Michael in .nz. Sorry, Michael.
>>
>> All good. ?My vote is for /lib/ld-arm-linux-gnueabihf.so.3 as it:
>> ?* is similar to /lib/ld-x86-64.so.2
>> ?* keeps the libraries and loader in the same directory
>> ?* doesn't invent a new /libhf directory
>> ?* is easier to implement in GLIBC
>> ?* is architecture and ABI unique
>> ?* requires less change for distros where the hard float libraries are
>> already in /lib
>
> ?Sorry for more bikeshedding, but afaik rpm based distros are
> using the armv7hl identifier, so it could as well be
>
> /lib/ld-linux-armv7hl.so.3

This includes the ABI (h), adds the endianess (l), and implies a
architecture level (v7).  The name for the most common configurations
should be as short as possible so I'd rather drop the 'l' and add a
'b' or 'eb' if anyone wants a big endian distro in the future.  The
architecture level is a problem as the loader should also be valid on
ARMv5 and ARMv6 hard float builds.  Skype should be able to make a
hard float binary that runs on everything, including a potential ARMv6
hard float RaspberryPi build.

> ?Other variant could be
>
> /armv7hl-linux/lib/ld.so.3

This introduces both a new directory and a new style for naming :)

-- Michael