Re: locale encodings

By the way, I ran some tests on the fi_FI locale for glibc-2.18 and it
seems to contain out of date information in regards to collation. The
correct collation order/data are specified in Finnish standard SFS-EN
13710 published in 2011 (Finnish standard based on EN 13710 ~aka ISO/IEC
14651) and CLDR, and implemented in ICU. Quick look at the fi_FI file
tells me that at least the dates are off, which would imply the data
being off. The collation errors seem to be diacritic related, so I would
have to go through the actual data to determine whether the error is in
strcoll's dealing with UTF-8 or the collation data. The collation data
seems to be the most likely suspect. Keld, your name is listed as the
contact, so maybe best that you check this out. In case only the
comments are off. Also, the charset is wrong. It is listed as iso-8859-1
for fi_FI and iso-8859-15 for fi_FI@euro. The correct charset for
Finnish is UTF-8. Only UTF-8 includes all the characters included in the
current standards.

Since EN 13710 specifies a European collation order, it should also be
used in other Europan locales as the default sorting order.

I've tried to push for more cooperation with CLDR in the past too, and
here is a good case in point why it would actually be a good idea to
keep an eye on CLDR. There is no need to automate the process
(difficulty of which seems to be the reason for resisting CLDR), just
get the relevant data. Running comparison tests between cldr and libc
would also be a good idea. ICU is pretty up-to-date in terms of CLDR and
other Unicode.org data, so that would be an easy way to implement the
tests.

Troy