Re: locale encodings

If you mean the locale data files, they have a line such as
"% Charset: ISO-8859-1"
which tell you the charset.

It would indeed be a good idea to tell the files' maintainers to use
UTF-8 from now on. For now you can use iconv or uconv to convert them.
E.g. iconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf-8 < file > newfile

Troy