Re: Volunteer to take over mailing list moderation?

On 5/27/2011 12:08 PM, Petr Baudis wrote:
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:53:25AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 5/27/2011 5:43 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
[Petter Reinholdtsen 2011-05-09]
I have ran out of time available for moderating the
libc-locales@sourceware.org mailing list.  Any volunteer to take over?

No-one have volunteered so far. If no-one step forward before 2011-06-04, I will most likely start the process to have this list shut down, as I am unable to find the required time to moderate it, and all messages need to be manually accepted into the list.

Happy hacking,

Why not ask overseers to remove the moderation requirement and accept any emails? It's still useful IMO to have somewhere for locale related conversations to happen. Most people can tolerate some spam.

I'm not actually sure if it is good idea to have some spawn-off very low traffic lists. It seems to me that it rather contributes to more fragmentation in the already very stagnant community. Another way to look at it is that between last March and now, some 20 mails (except localedata bug mails) arrived, but no *conversation* has happenned on the list at all.

I think this is no good. Instead of redirecting people interested in
locales to a list that is used for reporting problems, but not for
solving them, it would be better to have this kind of discussion on
libc-help and libc-alpha, where it may become apparent even to people
not primarily interested in locales that there are problems in this
area and they need some attention. After all, the traffic really is
rather low.

Petr,

I hadn't looked at the traffic on list, but if it's low, then by all means lets move it to libc-help and libc-alpha.

There is no need to have a separate list for low traffic.

Petter,

When you kill the list, please contact me and I'll update the website and wiki to redirect locale questions to libc-help.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--
Carlos O'Donell