Re: How to add crh.po, and tt@iqtel locale's .po for gettext

Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> There'd need to be over a million Crimean Tatars living in Turkey in
> this list. Total population is about 4-to-6 million, from what i read,
> but i'm not sure how it splits between Crimean and Idil-Ural Tatars.

Probably negligible compared to Ukraine and Uzbekistan:
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=TRA
says "there are definitely some Crimean Tatar villages".

> > I'd therefore recommend to use:
> >   - for the glibc locales: the names crh_UA and crh_UZ.
> >     Use Latin alphabet for crh_UA and Cyrillic one for crh_UZ.
> >   - for the PO files (translations): Use crh_UA and crh_UZ as well, and
> >     DON'T create PO files for 'crh'.
>
> I think crh by default should be Latin, because it's official

You have shown an official decision by the Ukraine only. Regarding
Uzbekistan, you haven't any facts.

> and in
> all 3 countries where Crimean Tatars mostly now live, Turkey, Crimea,
> and Uzbekistan,

Forget about Turkey in this context. See above.

> Latin alphabet is pre-dominant. 'Ozbekiston also
> switched to Latin

Where do you got this from? Usually the script will be same as the
one of the major language of the country, which in case of Uzbekistan
is Cyrillic; see http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=uzn

> I've never heard of UZ granting an
> official status to Crimean Tatar, and i'm sure the community sticks w/
> Crimea-based fellows in this regard.

You can not make decisions that affect a community that you don't belong
to, on your own, based on rumours and "I'm sure" statements. So, please
stick to the community that you know about, that is crh_UA. When
people from the crh_UZ community appear and get interested in localization
for glibc, you can discuss the issue with them. Until then, please
care about crh_UA only.

Bruno