Name resolution of dot terminated hostnames

Hi,

On a Gentoo box (with Gentoo packaged glibc 2.29-r2), libc was unable to
resolve 'localhost.' (with the trailing dot), although it can resolve
'localhost', and conf looks fine.

With older libcs, (at least 2.28 based), libc can resolve the dot
terminated hostname just fine.

I could not find any precision in libc's doc about this.

hostname(7) man page reads 'If the input name ends with a trailing dot,
the trailing dot is removed, and the remaining name is looked up with no
further processing.'

I do not have any vanilla libc at hand, nor any libc development
environment, but i might set up one if a bugreport is needed.

Questions are: can a vanilla user or dev test and report resolution of
'localhost.'?
Is there any intentional change i missed about name resolution?

Regards.

PS: I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me.