Re: building every released version of GCC starting with 4.1.2, with appropriate matching glibc

On 08/04/17 08:27, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> On 2017-04-08 00:49 +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> On 8 April 2017 at 00:38, Toebs Douglass <toby@winterflaw.net> wrote:
>>> On 08/04/17 01:29, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>>> The LFS docs say, as above, that where a C library is not yet available,
>>> this option must be used.
>>
>> No, it doesn't say it *must* be used, it says that using it has a
>> particular property which is needed. Not that it's the only way to
>> achieve that.
>
> Some references about building cross toolchains also use "make all-gcc"
> and "make install-gcc" to install a GCC without target libgcc at first,  Then
> use this GCC to build target libc (glibc or newlib).  With the libc installed,
> we can build complete GCC (with target libraries).

Yes - I have seen this approach on-line, as well as the approach used in
LinuxFromScratch.  It was confusing, in part as I could find no
documentation about the "all-gcc" target, and also as there seemed to be
two ways in the same build system to do the same thing (and indeed, this
does seem to be so).