Re: Which Linux distributions are the developers of glibc using?

On 30 May 2015 17:11, nick wrote:
> On 2015-05-30 05:09 PM, james harvey wrote:
> > I started with Redhat and moved to Fedora when it came out, and have
> > stuck with it.
> >
> > Trying to upgrade my glibc to the git master has, for the first time,
> > exposed me to distribution-specific patches.
> >
> > There can be quite a few conflicts trying to merge in the Fedora
> > patches for their latest release of a package, and that project's
> > current source tree.
> >
> > I could be wrong, of course, but I assume the glibc developers are
> > using a distribution that allows them to just install the glibc
> > source, without distribution-specific patches on top to complicate
> > their development.  Which ones are these?  I figure Linux From Scratch
> > would qualify for what I'm looking for, but want to know my options.
>
> Arch Linux/Gentoo do this do otherwise there are few distributions that do
> this.

Gentoo, like every distro, has its own patchset on top of glibc.  i can't speak
to specifics in Redhat/Fedora, but the Gentoo patchset are largely bug fixes.
i glanced through them (they're in git under gentoo/2.21) and i can't see any
that would cause your system to fail if you used vanilla glibc.  of course, if
you needed one of those build fixes (like some of the arch updates), then it's
to be expected that vanilla glibc also won't work :).  but that largely applies
to arches like hppa.
-mike