nftw: No such file or directory after changing file's links

Hi,

I have a program which use nftw() to descend a file tree.  As it's
walking downward, it's looking for identical files in a parallel tree.
When it comes across an identical file in the parallel tree, it removes
it and then creates a link from the tree that is being walked into the
parallel tree.

Yes, I am saving space between two file trees that have many identical
files by creating links between them.

But what I am finding is that after I have created the link, when my
"fn()" returns nftw() fails out with a "No such file or directory".

I suppose it has something to do with modifying the directory that
nftw() is currently processing by adding to the link counts of files in
the directory being processed.

But what is the solution?

Cheers,
b.