Re: tst-getaddrinfo4 failure with glibc-2.18

On 09/10/2013 09:22 AM, Allin Cottrell wrote:
> I always run the test suite and pay attention to the results.

Allin, That's music to my ears. Thank you for reporting that,
and thank you for following our expected practice. Thank you
also for participating in the glibc community.

> I put "fix" in scare quotes above, because the lengthy discussion
> following Allan McRae's libc-alpha posting suggests that right fix is
> not obvious. But as an empirical matter it "works for me". In terms
> of diagnosing the problem I don't think I have anything to add to
> that discussion other than this data-point: I also had crashes in
> __strstr_sse42 with out-of-the-box glibc 2.18 on i686, and they've
> stopped after patching strstr.c as stated.

I'm sorry that this issue caused you to have problems. As a distribution
maintainer I see this pain also (I'm part of the team that maintains
Fedora's glibc, and RHEL's glibc).

I've added more information here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.18#Packaging_Changes

Does that capture what you saw and concluded?