Re: strtoul(-1) discussion

2013/4/15 Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com>:
> On 04/07/2013 03:20 PM, Fabrice Bauzac wrote:

> POSIX 2008 also says: "If the subject sequence begins with a minus-sign, the
> value resulting from the conversion shall be negated."  I think that means
> that POSIX actually mandates the (admittedly weird) glibc behavior.  The C
> and POSIX committees probably couldn't bring themselves to clearly specify
> this behavior, and that's where the ambiguity comes from.

I have another interpretation.  To me, the "value" here is the
mathematical, converted value, which is not necessarily a value
representable in the target C type (see RETURN VALUE section in [1]).
If there is a minus sign, then the mathematical value is negated.

Then, if that mathematical value does not fit in the target C type (be
it because the math. value is too large or because it is negative
while the type is unsigned), there would be overflow.

"-0" is accepted by strtoul: it is desirable for strtoul (or strtol)
to accept the minus sign, but I think POSIX just says that if the
value does not fit, be it strtol or strtoul, then it should report
overflow.

> It's even clearer for the %u conversion specifier, where this behavior is
> pretty explicitly mandated.

Could you please elaborate a little bit: are you talking about printf,
scanf? Which specification?  Thanks!

> That's actually what I expect—GNU libc's behavior matches that of legacy
> systems.
> There are some other non-GNU resources which describe the odd behavior,

Maybe there was an initial early public-domain implementation, which
was then copied to many UNIX variants incl. BSD, Solaris, GNU?  Would
that be possible?
However, I think I remember that the AIX libc implements the "normal"
behaviour of refusing "-1".

> There's an old discussion on comp.std.c dating back to September 1992,
> "strtoul on negative numbers".  It strongly suggests that back then,
> everyone implemented the strange behavior.

I think I have found the discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/comp.std.c/8LHELp65IqI

My current opinion is that the "sensible" meaning of the specification
(the one anybody would expect from learning that strtoul is meant to
convert a string to an unsigned long) was not (and has never been)
specified sufficiently clearly and led to the BSD/Solaris/GNU
implementations...

Thanks!

Best regards
Fabrice