_IO_vfscanf calling realloc

Hello,

I am the maintainer of gperftools and have received a few issue
submissions recently regarding deadlocks due to _IO_vfscanf calling
realloc.

http://code.google.com/p/gperftools/issues/detail?id=428

This tells me that _IO_vfscanf in the past did not make a call to
realloc since this deadlock would have surfaced many years ago. I am
curious in which version GNU libc changed _IO_vfscanf to depend on
realloc. I am also curious if there is any way to get around this call
being made to realloc.

-Dave