Re: the relation between the files Makefile and Makefile.in in thetop directroy of the source code

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:11 AM, guoji Ma <guoji.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am reading glibc code. I find the files Makefile and Makefile.in in
> the top directory. Did the Makefile be created from Makefile.in? if
> did, but the file Makefile.in is very simple. what are the tools by
> used to create the file Makefile from Makefile.in? ?If don't , what
> purpose is the Makefile.in and why did release the file? Thanks very
> much!

glibc is designed to be built in a separate build directory.

The $srcdir/Makefile.in is processed by the autotools to be come
$builddir/Makefile.

The $srcdir/Makefile.in is designed to run commands from $srcdir/Makefile.

Where $srcdir is the source directory and $builddir is the build directory.

Does that help?