Question about inotify calls.

Hi,

I'm working on several FUSE filesystems, and looking for how to make
inotify work on FUSE filesystems, and network
fs's like cifs and nfs.

I've tried a lot till I found out a wrapper for the inotify calls are
the way to do it.

To explain:

inotify (and successors like fanotify) are onlt working for local
filesystems where the VFS is the only "user". This is the case
with a harddrive, and not with a FUSE filesystem or networkfilesystem.
I've been thinking that making inotify work for these
"outside of VFS filesystems" lies in the kernel. But then I came to
the idea that a wrapper does the job.

If the wrapper detects the target fs support native inotify, the
normal syscall is done, like inotify_init, inotify_add_watch, rm-watch
etc.

If the target fs is FUSE or a networkfs, it has to connect to that fs
via a socket in userspace.

Is this possible, I'm want to know what you think.

Stef Bon
Voorburg
the Netherlands