Re: Need help in writing a ChangeLog

25.11.2010 22:34, Carlos O'Donell ÐÐÑÐÑ:

> You patch lacks two things which are required for changes like this:
>
> * Documentation update.
>
> * Regression test.
>
> We need to tell users how to use it, and prove that it still works
> after each release.

I was searching for documentation on /etc/ld.so.preload as an example of
what I should write, but found just a few words about it in ld.so(8). Should
I propose similar changes to the man page or write something else?

About the test. I didn't find any regression tests for /etc/ld.so.preload or
/etc/suid-debug, not even for __libc_enable_secure alone. And the only way I
see we can test the sanitization is with a small suid application that will
be started in a prepared chroot environment containing /etc/privenv-* files
and will check for any unexpected contents in its environment.
So the questions are:

This would work only when the testing is done as root. Is that acceptable?

Should the test fail or be skipped if it was started by an unprivileged user?

And which user should own the suid binary? nobody?

> Those are excellent arguments for a userspace glibc implementation.
>
> The arguments should be part of your description with the patch.

I'll add them.

> In any file that you change you must update the copyright notices.

OK. I have a couple of questions.

If I assign my copyright to FSF, should I add my copyright notices still?

And there's a file with no copyright notices: sysdeps/generic/unsecvars.h
Should I add just my copyright notice to that file?

> You will need an employer disclaimer form if a school or employer owns
> work created by you.

That's not needed. I'm self-employed, and this patch isn't a part of any
work I do for my customers.

> What would you like to do?

I'd like to assign copyright for all future glibc submissions.