Re: Bugs in jnf(3) and jn(3)

On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 09:57:25AM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 12/6/2010 5:33 PM, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > The following two codes demonstrate bugs in
> > I suspect all versions of jnf(3) and jn(3).

s/versions/versions of glibc/

> I can confirm this. Upstream git trunk suffers from this problem.
>
> I have filed an internal issue for our developers to review.
>
> If you are looking to help with the bug I can give you some guidance.

I rarely use linux or a glibc based system.  I almost exclusively
use FreeBSD.  FreeBSD's libm is derived from fdlibm from netlib,
and I knew glibc's libm had been based on fdlibm at some point in
time.  So, I checked the source code, and saw that glibc suffers
the same problem.

According to http://www.netlib.org/fdlibm/e_jn.c, this bug has
been around for 17 years.

A diff from http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/lib/msun/src/
should apply with little change.

> (d) File a bugzilla issue against libc->math, describe the bug,
> describe the fix, attach the patch and list the testing you did.

I would have filed a bug report, but this appears to require
a user id and password.  I already have way too many accounts to
add another to my collection.

--
Steve