How CPU dispatching works in glibc?

Hi,

I am curious about how glibc invoke a specific routine optimized for
certain CPU model. For example, I guessed that __strncpy_ssse3 is
invoked only when glibc detect SSE3-capable CPU via CPUID instruction.

I found older posts which said that it is being implemented. My
understanding is that glibc will detect CPU features on the first
invocation of each function. So each program will stick to specialized
routine until it exits.

Is my understanding correct? I am using glibc-2.11 on Fedora

--
Thawan Kooburat

Graduate Student
Department of Computer Science