Re: does glibc "make check" run any C++ test cases?

On 17 Apr 2010, Carlos O'Donell outgrape:

> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM, John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> That's reasonable,?? although I wasn't asking for that,? just for
>> glibc make check to check whether compilation of c++ works.??? In
>> view of what you said,??? I guess that nowadays it may be quite
>> common that compilation of c++ will not work after installing glibc?
>> (if the gcc was built against a much older glibc),? but still I feel
>> it would be a useful test to add.
>
> Why? The process you followed is flawed. GLIBC is *not* designed to be
> built and installed like any other application. It's just the way it
> works. The C++ tests are in the C++ testsuite in the compiler.

There are in fact some C++ testcases in glibc, testing e.g. the function
of atexit() versus global destructors in dlopen()ed shared libraries,
and exception throws and destructor invocation during pthread
cancellation. But if the C++ compiler seems to be broken, these tests
are simply not run: as Carlos says, their purpose isn't to test the C++
compiler, but to test features of glibc which interact with the C++
runtime.