Re: does glibc "make check" run any C++ test cases?

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:05 PM, John Lumby <johnlumby@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Carlos.??? While debugging my problem I gradually started thinking that might be how to fix it,? but didn't do that (yet).?? But good to know that's what is needed in general.???? And since glibc needs to be built with a current gcc, it means the process has to be
> ?? build & install gcc
> ?? build & install glibc
> ?? rebuild and reinstall gcc

Correct. Usually the first gcc built is only a C compiler. The second
gcc is a build of all languages and you run all of the language
testsuites.

>> Building and testing an entire toolchain is hard. No single testsuite
>> is designed to catch all errors.
>
> That's reasonable,?? although I wasn't asking for that,? just for glibc make check to check whether compilation of c++ works.??? In view of what you said,??? I guess that nowadays it may be quite common that compilation of c++ will not work after installing glibc? (if the gcc was built against a much older glibc),? but still I feel it would be a useful test to add.

Why? The process you followed is flawed. GLIBC is *not* designed to be
built and installed like any other application. It's just the way it
works. The C++ tests are in the C++ testsuite in the compiler.