Version mismatch libpthread/libthread_db

Hi all!

I've been trying to build a crosscompiler toolchain including
glibc-2.6.1 and thread support for a couple of days now. This seems to
work for the most part, but when starting gdbserver on the target board
and debugging a multithreaded application I get a warning about a
version mismatch between libpthread and libthread_db; also the debugging
seems to be broken in some cases (gdb cannot access memory at address
0x18 etc.). The best hint that I could find on the net regarding the
cause were essentially saying "you must use both libraries from the same
package", referring to binary packages of various Linux distributions;
however both of these libs for my target where build in the same pass,
and I made sure I deployed them to the board together.
Digging into the code that causes this message, I found the version
string comparison in nptl_db/td_ta_new.c:48, which reveals an empty
string in versbuf that's being compared to "2.6.1". After I've tried
several configuration variations and switches including
"--enable-versioning" and with/without "--disable-debug" without
success, I'm out of ideas now. Could anybody on this list please give me
a hint what's going wrong?
I'm building my cross-toolchain for mipsel-linux-gnu using a third party
script provided by our BSP vendor, so I'm not 100% familiar with all the
details of the toolchain building process; please bear with me. The
configuration of the final, full-featured glibc build is started with

$SRC_ROOT/glibc-2.6.1/configure --target=mipsel-linux-gnu
--host=mipsel-linux-gnu --enable-add-ons=glibc-ports-2.6.1,nptl
--enable-__cxa_atexit --without-cvs --disable-profile --without-gd
--prefix= --without-fp --with-tls

(environment variables replaced by the actual values used), with a lot
more environment variables set from the previous GCC cross-build.
Thanks for your help!

Martin