Help with cross-compiling glibc toolchain

Hi,

I am trying to build a cross-compiled glibc toolchain on a non-linux platform. My only issue involves a problem with the include path for glibc. I have patched glibc with a cross-tools patch from the CLFS project. This basically makes glibc compile a native localedef-native binary so localedata/insatll-locales will work in the cross-compiler.

I realize this list doesn't support this patch, however, the issue is that it cannot find libintl.h during compilation. This is part of the GNU gettext utilities package. So basically, I know I need to figure out some way to get the make script to properly include the path to my headers for gettext. On my system, gettext is installed in /usr/local/ include/.

I have tried two methods to pass the include directory, neither worked.

First, I tried to pass it to the configure script for glibc by way of CPPFLAGS. In this case my configure command looked like:

BUILD_CC="gcc" CC="mipsel-linux-gcc" CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include" AR="mipsel-linux-ar" RANLIB="mipsel-linux-ranlib" ../glibc-2.6.1/ configure --prefix=/usr --libexecdir=/usr/lib/glibc --host=mipsel- linux --disable-profile --enable-add-ons --with-tls --enable- kernel=2.6.0 --with-__thread --with-binutils=/opt/mipsel-liunx- toolchain/bin --with-headers=../linux-2.6.24.3-lt-headers --cache- file=config.cache

When I did a make, however, it still didn't find libintl.h, and I noticed no -I/opt/local/include in the gcc commands that it called.

Next, i tried passing the CPPFLAGS variable to make such as:
make CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include"

This time, I noticed the -I flag was being passed to gcc, but that the native -I flags there used to be there were not. This meant that it could no longer find the various other files it needed to include, and died on something else.

My conclusion is that CPPFLAGS during `make` overrides all other compiler flags, and CPPFLAGS during `configure` is ignored. So how do I pass this information to the build process for glibc so I can compile it on my system? Thank you kindly,

Daniel

--
Daniel Jabbour
Software Engineer