Re: Building glibc from CVS on x86 Ubuntu Hardy

On Sat, 3 May 2008, Ryan Arnold wrote:

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Reuben Thomas <rrt@sc3d.org> wrote:
On Fri, 2 May 2008, Ryan S. Arnold wrote:
 Thanks, that works fine. Where should I have discovered that this is what I
needed to do? As far as I could tell from INSTALL, I should have been able
to use the simple line that I used. Or is this a problem with building on
Ubuntu?

In general the developers don't like to encourage the building/installing of GLIBC.

Right. My reason is not to install it, but to write some tests and add a function. Should I be building it a different way?

Every build of glibc is specially tuned for the target therefore a simple bare 'configure' isn't appropriate.

Yet this is what the documentation implies. From INSTALL:

  `configure' takes many options, but the only one that is usually
  mandatory is `--prefix'

If that's wrong, it should be changed.

-fno-stack-protector used to be required on my Ubuntu machine.  This
may not be the case any longer with a newer compiler.

Well, I have an up-to-date Hardy system, and it obviously is required there, as I said.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | Fasting Alleviates Concupiscence Effortlessly