locale.alias

Is there some policy or guiding principle behind what goes into
locale.alias?  I have no interest in being the arbiter of what the
canonical aliases for various locales should be.  But I don't know how to
respond to bug reports or change requests about the locale.alias contents
we ship in the libc sources.  I guess the answer I'd like best is that for
each locale there is some responsible entity that decides what's right (or
one entity for all, whatever), and that entity decides the canonical alias
names too.  I have no problem deciding what's right for en_US, these 300
million other losers notwithstanding ;-).  But for the general case I want
an easily-identifiable recipient to pass the buck to.

Thanks,
Roland