Re: test-netdb.c

Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:

> The draft 7 Open Group spec seems to say that gethostname should truncate
> the result and return zero when the given buffer length is too short.

I agree that this is awful.  It's another compromise API.

> I don't have a problem with that, but it is an incompatible change
> and could break programs that expect the ENAMETOOLONG behavior.

What's the alternative?  Keeping the documented behavior means
stretching the wording of the specification.  It more useful and I
don't expect it to cause problems in real applications.  If the
application is testing the return value it#s good, it can react.  If
it's not testing the return value it might use a truncated and
potentially unterminated string.