pre2

As I write this the last tests on Alpha and IA-64 run.  I don't expect
any problems and all looks good for a pre2.  Due to the amount of
patches I checked in today I prefer to have a pre2 release even though
I'm pretty sure the changes are fine.

I'll have to make some more auditing to do and might add one more
conversion module/charmap but that'll be it.  Nothing really
exciting.

If you see any problems let me know soon.  Otherwise I'll try to make
pre2 late tomorrow (Saturday my time) or on Sunday, depending on how
much time I find.