Re: 64 bit S/390 patches. Part 1 of 6.

>As you might have seen, I've applied the patch now.  Thanks.
Great! Thanks a lot.

>I nevertheless have some issues:
>
>- too many files are duplicated.  E.g.,
sysdeps/s390/s390-32/bits/huge_val.h
>  and sysdeps/s390/s390-64/bits/huge_val.h have the same contents (module
>  whitespace changes).
>
>  Please look again through all the files and move them up in the sysdeps
>  hierarchy (in the case of the file mentioned above, it should be in
>  sysdeps/s390/bits/huge_val.h
I just did. I found one more file that can be moved up
(sysdeps/s390/ffs.c).
The attached patch common-files.diff does the move of huge_val.h and ffs.c.

>- from what I understand of the s390 architecture you can execute 31 bit
>  applications on 64 bit machines.  If this is right you'll have to add
>  code  similar to the one we have for IA-32/IA-64 to ldconfig.  The
>  s390-32 and s390-64 binary both should be able to handle the DSOs of
>  the other.
Ah, this is good to know. Is it just the definitions in ldconfig.h or are
there
other places I need to look?

>- Is it desirable to have support from compiling 31-bit s390 binaries on
>  s390-64 (and vice versa)?  In this case the headers need more work (and
>  they need to be unified).  Look at the Linux/SPARC case for an example.
Well yes, it is certaintly desirable to be able to compile from the same
header files. The unification of the header files sound like an aweful
lot of work. The "solution" at the moment is to have a second include
directory in a cross build environment.

One last thing. Seems like something bad has happened to
linuxthreads-chg31.diff.
The ChangeLog has been updated but the patch didn't make it. Could you
please
check?

blue skies,
   Martin

Linux/390 Design & Development, IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Schönaicherstr. 220, D-71032 Böblingen, Telefon: 49 - (0)7031 - 16-2247
E-Mail: schwidefsky@de.ibm.com

(See attached file: common-files.diff)(See attached file:
common-files.ChangeLog)

common-files.diff

common-files.ChangeLog