Re: A patch for io/Versions and linuxthreads/Versions

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:22:57AM -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com> writes:
>
> > 	* linuxthreads/Versions (libpthread:GLIBC_2.2): Move pread,
> > 	__pread64, pread64, pwrite, __pwrite64, pwrite64, lseek64 and
> > 	open64 to ...
> > 	(libpthread:GLIBC_2.1): Here.
>
> This is wrong.  There were no such symbols in the 2.1 version.
> Therefore applications which as linked against 2.2 and run with 2.1
> will silently fail.  These are exactly the kind of things the
> versioning mechanism is catching.

It is very unfortunate. But I don't think there is nothing we can
do about it. If there is a new symbol in linuxthreads 2.2 which must
be linked with every single pthread application. In that case, any
pthread application linked with 2.2 will fail with 2.1. The alternative
is pthread applications in 2.2 may fail silently due to wrong functions
being used.

--
H.J. Lu (hjl@valinux.com)