Re: ISO C and errno

On Sat, Sep 23, 2000 at 10:11:47AM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> I don't know why you continue hitting on this.  Wrong code cannot be
> expected to run.  It only means that writing compatible applications
> is harder since you don't see some bugs.

It is written that way only because the glibc manual says it is ok to
do so. Can you blame the application developers for that? Please keep
in mind sometimes it is not that easy to change the source code even
if it is available. It may bring bad reputations to glibc and Linux
as we are getting into the corporate world. I simply cannot tell the
application developers that oops, we made a mistake in the glibc manual,
you have to change your code. It is ok to remove those wordings in
the new glibc manual. It doesn't mean we can abandon the existing
applications. I have been defending glibc for a long time. With changes
like this, it makes harder and harder for me to do so.

H.J.