Re: sunrpc binary incompatibility with glibc 2.1.x

Hi,

On Wed, May 24, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Changing type of xp_raddr field in SVCXPRT (rpc/svc.h) from sockaddr_in to
> sockaddr_storage breaks binary compatibility on 64bit hosts
> (sockaddr_storage is aligned to 64 bits while sockaddr_in to 32bits only, so
> there is 4 bytes padding before sockaddr_storage while it is not present for
> sockaddr_in).
> Any ideas what to do with it?

This is old and was already discussed here, without result. And it doesn't
break binary compatibility only on 64bit hosts, 32bit hosts have also
problems (the size of the struct changed, too).

Our IPv6 implementation is not compatible with Solaris8 and it seems with
*BSD, too. So I would like to remove the complete IPv6 code and wait for
an "official" solution. In the moment the protocol is not compatible
(you cannot comunicate with a Solaris8 RPC daemon over IPv6) and the
interface, too.

I would like to see a port of the new TI-RPC code Sun releases with
Solaris8. Alexey Kuznetsov has already written a socket interface
for it for an older Version. But I don't know who could do that.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg