Re: rlimit changes

On Fri, Dec 10, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:
>
> > You make a change which breaks the ABI for all platforms for over
> > 2 weeks. We fixed it for all platforms.
>
> Wrong.  I told you three times already: it didn't even compile on
> Alpha.

Yes, and I told you that I have no problems. I have compiled yet
the glibc 2.1.3 CVS snapshot from yesterday with the missing patches
from Andreas Schwab (which are only in 2.2) on a SuSE Linux 6.3/Alpha.

It compiles, it works. So we should try to find out what exactly
the problem is and what the reason it that it fails for you.

> It is not possible to fix the Alpha problems without removing the
> generic stuff.  Try it out before complaining.  On Alpha you get
> double definitions of the functions because they are picked up in misc
> and in resource.

As I told you already, I have tried it out before complaining.
The resulting version works, and I get no warnings or errors.
Where you write your problem now, I have looked at the log file.
You are right, oldgetrlimit64.os and oldsetrlimit64.os are included
twice, from misc and from resource. But the linker is not complaining
that he has 2 identical object files, he only use it once. So it
works for me and I had no chance to see it until yet.

I think this really shouldn't be so hard to fix, but I'm not a
Makefile expert. And I think there is something other wrong if
rlimit functions are included in misc and in resource.

> If SuSE wants to make a release, go on, use the old code.  It's simply
> not correct on all platforms.

SuSE will never use CVS snapshots for the release, we only adds important
bug fixes to a public relase, where we are sure that this patches will
not break anything else. Snapshots makes to much trouble, as you never
know if they will not break the ABI or something else. And as you could
read everywhere, we released our new version already. This is the reason
why Andreas S. and I have now the time to get the current CVS version
working before glibc 2.1.3 will be released public.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk       http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/       kukuk@suse.de
SuSE GmbH            Schanzaeckerstr. 10            90443 Nuernberg