Re: New ldconfig

On Tue, Nov 23, 1999 at 12:37:55PM +0100, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I've written a new ldconfig which I'll place under the GPL and like to
> get added to glibc.  ldconfig should be compatible with the current
> ldconfig, but is missing some (IMHO not needed) options.  It has been
> successfully tested on ix86, powerpc and alpha.
>
> The program parses libraries of the same endianness and wordsize as
> it's compiled for.  It currently can not handle 32 and 64 bit
> libraries simultaneously (if compiled on a 64 bit platform, it parses
> only 64bit libraries).  Is this needed anywhere?

Yes. On sparc and I assume on ia64 as well.

> I've placed the file ldconfig-19991123.tar.gz on
> ftp.suse.com/pub/people/aj/  The files come with a make file for
> building.  You need glibc 2.1 or newer for compilation.
>
> I would appreciate to get your comments.  Is there anything missing
> for integration into glibc?

BTW: What was the reason not to integrate H.J.'s latest ldconfig, which
already does a few things this ldconfig does not (in addition to 32/64
handling it e.g. removes duplicates etc.)?

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jakub@redhat.com | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/~jj
Linux version 2.3.18 on a sparc64 machine (1343.49 BogoMips)