ld.so changes

The large number of ld.so changes I just checked in are not alarming.
There are no bugs to be fixed.  The changes are "only" optimization
changes.  I hope I got all the machine dependent bits fixed.  If not
I'm confident I'll hear from you.  Those with RISC machines will
probably benefit more from the changes than others.  Measuring the
success is difficult but startup time should be reduced by another 5%
and the runtime relocations are also faster.