Re: ld.so version map

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 23:20:24 +0100 (CET), Mark Kettenis wrote:
>Ulrich, could you please remove the special ld.so version map again.
>Since you made this change, only a very limited set of symbols is
>exported by ld.so.  This means that overriding a lot of symbols that
>were previously exported in ld.so is no longer possible.  And as
>Roland explained (see the message quoted below, especially the last
>paragraph) being able to override functions in ld.so is the right
>thing.
>
>Of course adding all these symbols to ld.so's map is a possibility,
>but this map file would be rather hard to maintain.  Using libc's
>version map for ld.so really is the right thing, since there are no
>symbols in there that we should not export.

The original change was provoked by a bug-report: when you override
one specific function, namely strcmp(), you get infinite recursion in
the dynamic linker.  Roland said that in this case the linker should
be using its own routines.

I had a patch that copied libc.map and removed that one function,
would this be preferable in your opinion?

zw