Re: [kwzh@gnu.org (Karl Heuer)] glibc-2.1

Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

> However, I seriously doubt whether these backwards compatibility
> functions are really needed.

It's not about being needed in general.  Fact is that there are
programs which are compiled with the old egcs (esp in distributions)
and people who are now using gcc will render their system unusable.

This problem came up far to often on the libc lists where it does not
belong so we made the step (write to use egcs) to prevent it.