This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Should we have MAXSYMLINKS?
- To: Alexander Viro <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Should we have MAXSYMLINKS?
- From: Roland McGrath <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 02:12:29 -0500
- Cc: "H.J. Lu" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, linux kernel <email@example.com>, GNU C Library <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Emacs: the road to Hell is paved with extensibility.
There has always been an explicit check in BSD for following more than
MAXSYMLINKS links. It is not expressing an implementation limit. The
limit is there to catch infinite recursions (ln -s foo foo).
This is what the ELOOP error exists to report.