Re: 2.0.104 on sparc

Philip Blundell <philb@gnu.org> writes:

> BTW, many of the floating point checks fail on Alpha as well.
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to have `make check' ignore the
> results of these tests on platforms where failures are expected.
> Otherwise the value of "make check" is reduced for most users; it
> would be good if people could use it routinely to test a library
> before installation.

I've heard from DaveM that on his SPARCs the test run fine.  I guess
the ELCs have a not so complete FPU implementation and rely more on
emulation which is not always correct.

I certainly don't want to relax the error detection in general.  But
if there are problems with some platforms we can selectively let make
ignore the errors on these platforms.

I.e., once we have a list of the problematic platforms configure
should be changed to define a make symbol which than can be used to
somehow avoid the error.  Either in make or by passing an option to
the test program which lets it always exit with status zero.