Re: more changes

> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
> Date: 21 Oct 1998 15:52:44 -0700

> I've added the INLINE_SYSCALL changes I posted yesterday.  Reason:
>
> - nobody objected :-)
>
> - they are fairly simple and disabled for anything but Linux/i386 so far.
>   Of course each port maintainer can now come up with an appropriate
>   definition of INLINE_SYSCALL.

Hmmm.  I should have objected, but at the time I didn't fully
understand the problem...

I sent a message explaining this more fully to Ulrich, but in short:

- Fortunately, there is little benefit to inlining syscalls on ppc, but:
- if you did want to do it on ppc, you would need to know the types of
  parameters to each function, in particular pread and pwrite :-(
- and then you'd have the inline asm problem that the configure
  test checks for, since on ppc syscalls clobber cr0.

> I've tested the current this glibc version using the current mainline
> egcs.  This egcs version has, due to some changes made a few months
> ago, severe problems with inline asm on small register class machines.
> I have several problems with the inlined string functions.  But with
> the INLINE_SYSCALL I have no problem at all which I assume indicates
> asm is easy enough.
>
> On top on this we'll get in the next days significant reload
> enhancements so that even the last problem should be gone.

This should be fun :-).  Hey, maybe it will fix the last problem I
listed above.

> So, give it a try and let the changes for the other architectures
> coming.  Once you've done this don't forget to remove the stuff from
> the architecure specific Makefile which I've added today.
>

> [Geoff: now the PPC changes I made yesterday should work.]

Unfortunately...

--
Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@ozemail.com.au>