Re: status

   Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 16:15:12 -0400
   From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>

   I'm not sure exactly what the status of the Hurd port of glibc-2.1 is.  I
   did some work last week to make it build ok and fix some known problems.
   There are still some changes from Mark Kettenis <kettenis@phys.uva.nl> that
   I have not merged in yet or had the time to deal with.  He probably has a
   better idea than anyone this moment how the development libc sources work
   on a Hurd system.  I have not been able to actually test running it myself.
   (Hopefully I will be able to do more real work on it in a week or two.)

I have run it as a secondary libc only.  All basic user programs work
fine with it and I can execute all servers, but I'm not sure if the servers
actually work.  In particular, I don't know if multithreaded apps work
correctly.  I have only compiled some simple programs against it.  I
hope to find some time to do some more testing next weekend.

   I do believe that it's now close enough that we can have it working in a
   2.1 public release, unless you suddenly want to release next week or
   something.

I'm not sure if we want the Hurd port to be fully `public'.  There are
some versioning issues we need to address, and personally, I'm not
really happy with the (beginnings of) large file support for dirent as
it is now.  IMHO we should still base the design of the Hurd on BSD
and provide Linux compatibility by other means.

Mark