Re: glibc: Hurd dynamic linker fixes

   Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 12:35:54 -0400
   From: tb@MIT.EDU (Thomas Bushnell, n/BSG)

   I wrote patches to dl-sysdep.c to support using __read (which is now
   called by ld.so).  I thought I submitted those to Uli, but I don't see
   them in the real source.

   The point of those changes was to make the fake file descriptions that
   ld.so uses be Hurd I/O ports instead of memory object ports; I think
   that's better than having __libc_read do a map.  It also makes it
   possible to support __libc_write, __fxstat, __lseek.

   (Your definition of __libc_read also looks wrong, in that it does not
   maintain a file pointer.)

I agree that __libc_read looks wrong.  But it works because
__libc_read is only used to read the first page of an executable.  It
is never called a second time.

However, using I/O ports would be a better solution since that would
make it possible to support writing debug output to arbitrary files,
and shared library profiling.

If you send me your patches, I can try to integrate them in mine.

Mark