Re: Header files for kernel and glibc

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Anyway, I'd be _really_ much happier if [g]libc only used the really basic
> header files: things like "asm/posix-types.h", "asm/errno.h" etc are
> obviously fine to use from the kernel, but at the same time I'd be even
> happier if glibc was compilable even if you didn't have any kernel sources
> at all.

The problem are not really these little headers.  They are mainly
ioctls.h and the filesystem headers.  Maybe I forgot some others but
these are definitely on the list I don't want to care for.  It should
be quite easy to define them using real types, as uint32_t (i.e, the
ISO C 9x types) plus perhaps a few more #ifdef __KERNEL protectors.

-- Uli