Re: glibc-2.0.93 homebrew distribution tests

At 16:05 Uhr -0000 20.05.1998, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
>>   Many configure programs laying around check for HAVE_UTMP_H and
>> HAVE_UTMPX_H and end up in a strange state when you have both.  So far
>> I've been able to fix all of them by ignoring HAVE_UTMPX_H if I have
>> HAVE_UTMP_H defined.
>
>utmpx.h is the standard interface.  utmp.h is there only for
>compatibility reasons.

Yes, and eg. ssh-1.2.23 tries to use it, but also makes some (invalid?)
assumptions as soon as HAVE_UTMPX_H is defined:
1. it tries to include <sys/mkdev.h> for minor()
2. it expects a structure member ut_syslen (the strlen() of ut_host)
3. it expects WTMPX_FILE to be defined, but this is only defined if
_GNU_SOURCE is defined

Probably there are other packages out there which make similar assumptions
and I think a better solution than to undefine HAVE_UTMPX_H is to correct
the sources and send a diff to the package maintainer.

Franz.